by Gloria Ezeh
One thing to be understood about the Met Gala, the annual fundraising gala for the benefit of the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute in New York City, is that fashion could grow wings there.
Often seen as an avenue for celebrities to show off their creativity in style, the Gala is widely regarded as one of the most exclusive social events in New York and one of the biggest fundraising nights in the city.
Here are 6 celebs that made some eye-popping fashion statements at the just concluded event:
1. Nicki Minaj and her plunging body suit, replete with cute flowers and a devilish tail.
2. Plus-size model Ashley Graham might not be all that known in Mushin where I live but because it is not all the time that I get the blessing of seeing a dress marry a figure so perfectly well, I just have to include her.
Okay. Whether you look at her from the back or front, Bad Girl RiRi looks nothing short of an African masquerade. Thank you Rihanna for bringing the new-yam-festival feel to the Met event and did you see her Glamour Girls hairstyle too? Wonderful.
4. Just like Rihanna Katy Perry seems to be rolling in the masquerade inspiration too, though unlike RiRi she looks yet to completely perfect her masquerade game. You are free to be a masquerade, just don’t be a distressed one.
5. We’ve all had that situation whereby you call your tailor in the morning only to hear that your dress is not yet ready. Thanks to model Jourdan Dunn, we now know we can still put all the cut pieces together and still look hot.
6. And finally, even though I know how personal style can be; I just hope that I totally agree that dressing up like Barney’s distant cousin is part of the game. Well, because she just had triplets I can try to understand why Pharrell Williams‘ wife Helen Lasichanh had to go so Disney.
Image Credit: Getty Images