by Staff writer
What is Skoochies?
Skoochies (also spelt skuchies) is a local cocktail of alcohol and weed. Sometimes other herbs are added.
Skoochies is becoming increasingly popular in Lagos parties. Fresh reports now show the cocktail is served in almost all young-people parties in Lagos, including ones held by celebrities.
A self-acclaimed “science student” we spoke to, Starboy Ken, revealed to us how Skuchies are made.
“We first of all boil weed in water for about 15 – 25 minutes. Then mix gin, fresh lime juice and cranberry juice in equal proportions in a bowl.”
“In the absence of cranberry juice, zobo can be used,” said Starboy Ken.
“Then pour the weed juice from the pot into the mixture and add ice cubes to get chilled.”
Health dangers of skoochies
Skoochies has the same intoxicating power as most strong cocktails.
However, our research found that skoochies is less stronger than most other “street cocktails” served in Nigerian parties, like monkey tails and the rest.
There are also arguments that drinking marijuana tea is healthier than smoking it.
Unlike smoking marijuana, the tea is not inhaled through the lungs and thus does not contain the risk of developing long-term lung problems, such as cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), according to one writer.
“Another good thing about taking skoochies is that it doesn’t give that horrible stench of alcohol. You can drink skoochies all night and nobody will tell you have been drinking,” a socialite named Lydia told us.
Important things to note about consuming skuchies
1. It’s best to stay from alcoholic brews. Do not take them at all.
2. If you must, do not take more than 2 glasses of skoochies in one night.
3. Do not drink skoochies if you intend to drive or operate heavy machinery.
4. Drink only in the presence of friends you trust.
5. Do not drink on an empty stomach.
If you drink alcohol on an empty stomach, the alcohol passes directly into your bloodstream. Having food in your stomach at the time of drinking alcohol will slow down the absorption of alcohol.
Eating before drinking can slow down the alcohol’s effect on you and reduce your chances of getting messily drunk.
6. Do not make important life decisions when under the influence of alcohol.
7. Do not take skoochies if you are pregnant, or have any serious health condition, especially diabetes and depression, or if your doctor has warned you about taking alcohol in the past.
Again, our best recommendation is to avoid skoochies or any other alcoholic brew served at young parties in Lagos at all cost.