Who is Atiku Abubakar?
Atiku Abubakar is a Fulani Nigerian politician and businessman. He served as the Vice President of Nigeria from 1999 to 2007 during the presidency of Olusegun Obasanjo. Prior to his election as Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar contested for the position of Governor of Adamawa State.
In 2019, he also ran for Nigeria’s presidency alongside Mr Peter Obi as vice but lost to Muhammadu Buhari.
Atiku Abubakar was born on November 25, 1946, in Jada, a village located in present-day Adamawa State. As of June 2022, Atiku Abubakar is 75 years old. His father, Garba Abubakar was a Fulani farmer and trader. His mother, Aisha Kande, was the second wife of Atiku’s father, Garba Abubakar. In March 2022, Atiku Abubakar declared his intention to join the 2023 presidential race, contesting on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
Atiku Abubakar’s marriage and wedding
Atiku Abubakar is a married man. As of June 2022, Atiku Abubakar has four wives, the maximum allowed by the religion of Islam. Although some reports claim that Atiku Abubakar has five wives, this has not been confirmed to be true.
According to information gathered by DNB Stories Africa, Atiku Abubakar has been married six times and divorced twice, so he has four wives at the moment. He married Titilayo Albert in 1971, Ladi Yakubu in 1979, Princess Rukaiya Mustafa in 1983, Fatima Shettima in 1986, and then Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas sometime after and finally a Moroccan lady.
Atiku Abubakar married Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas after he divorced Ladi Yakubu, and then he divorced Jennifer Douglas and married the Moroccan lady.
List of Atiku Abubakar’s current wives:
- Amina Titi Atiku-Abubakar
- Princess Rukaiya Atiku Abubakar
- Fatima Shettima Abubakar and
- One Moroccan lady.
The names of Atiku Abubakar’s ex-wives (the two wives he has divorced) are:
- Jamila Atiku-Abubakar (formerly Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas) and
- Saadatu Ladi Yakubu.
About Amina Titi Atiku-Abubakar – Atiku’s first wife
Amina Titi Atiku-Abubakar is the first of Atiku Abubakar’s four wives. They got married in 1971 when Atiku Abubakar was a young customs officer. They got married in secret at a registry in Ikoyi because Amina Titi’s family did not consent to the wedding. Amina Titi Atiku-Abubakar was the official wife of Atiku Abubakar during his tenure as Vice President of Nigeria.
She is the mother of four of Atiku Abubakar’s children: Fatima, Adamu, Halima and Aminu. Amina Titi Atiku-Abubakar is an advocate of women and child rights. She is the author of a number of books including, “Educating The Nigerian child” and “Empowering Law To Fight Child Slavery.”
About Saadatu Ladi Yakubu – Atiku’s second wife
Saadatu Ladi Yakubu was Atiku Abubakar’s second wife before he divorced her. They got married on January 27, 1979. Saadatu Ladi Yakubu is the daughter of a police officer in Gombe. She is the mother of six of Atiku Abubakar’s children: Abba, Atiku, Zainab, Rukayatu, Maryam and Ummi-Hauwa.
About Princess Rukaiya Atiku Abubakar – Atiku’s third wife
Princess Rukaiya Atiku Abubakar is the daughter of the late Lamido of Adamawa, making her a princess. She is one of Atiku Abubakar’s four wives. They got married in 1986. She is the mother of seven of Atiku Abubakar’s children: Aisha, Hadiza, Aliyu, Asmau, Mustafa, Laila and Abdulsalaam.
About Fatima Shettima Abubakar – Atiku’s 4th wife
Fatima Shettima Abubakar is one of the four wives of Atiku Abubakar. They met while Shettima was in Law School and got married on July 22, 1986. She is the mother of seven of Atiku Abubakar’s children: Amina (Meena), Mohammed, Hafsat, two sets of twins, Ahmed and Shehu and Zainab and Aisha.
About Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas – Atiku’s Igbo wife
After Atiku Abubakar’s divorce from Ladi Yakubu, he married Barrister Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas. After their marriage, Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas changed her name to Jamila Atiku-Abubakar. However, Atiku Abubakar and Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas are now divorced.
Atiku Abubakar’s ex-wife, Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas, is Igbo and hails from Onitsha in Anambra State.
In a statement titled “Putting The Records Straight”, Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas said that she asked Atiku Abubakar for a divorce. While some people believed that the reason for the divorce was Atiku Abubakar’s decision to take another wife, Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas stated that this is not the case.
“The core reason for the divorce was disagreement over my continued stay in the United Kingdom to look after my children and several other long standing issues.”
She also said that after her request for divorce, Atiku Abubakar asked her to return the house and other properties that he gifted her. She also claimed that her life and that of her family were being threatened. She is the mother of three of Atiku Abubakar’s children: Abdulmalik, Zahra and Faisal.
About Atiku Abubakar’s Moroccan wife
Not much is known of Atiku Abubakar’s new wife other than the fact that she is a Moroccan woman. The two got married sometime during or after Atiku Abubakar’s divorce from Jennifer Iwenjiora Douglas.
About Atiku Abubakar’s children
As of June 2022, Atiku Abubakar has a total of twenty-eight (28) children.
Speaking about large family, the politician said:
“I wanted to expand the Abubakar family. I felt extremely lonely as a child. I had no brother or sister. I did not want my children to be as lonely as I was.”
List of Atiku Abubakar’s children
- Fatima Abubakar
- Adamu Abubakar
- Halima Abubakar
- Aminu Abubakar
- Abba Abubakar
- Atiku Abubakar
- Zainab Abubakar
- Ummi-Hauwa Abubakar
- Maryam Abubakar
- Rukayatu Abubakar
- Aisha Abubakar
- Hadiza Abubakar
- Aliyu Abubakar
- Asmau Abubakar
- Mustafa Abubakar
- Laila Abubakar
- Abdulsalaam Abubakar
- Amina Abubakar
- Mohammed Abubakar
- Ahmed Abubakar
- Shehu Abubakar
- Zainab Abubakar
- Aisha Abubakar
- Hafsat Abubakar
- Abdulmalik Abubakar
- Zahra Abubakar
- Faisal Abubakar
- Bilikisu Abubakar
About Atiku Abubakar’s prominent children
1. Fatima Abubakar is the first daughter of Atiku Abubakar. She was born on October 26, 1972 to Atiku Abubakar and Amina Titi Atiku-Abubakar. As of June 2022, Fatima Abubakar is 49 years old. Fatima Abubakar is a medical doctor. She also served as the Commissioner of Health in Adamawa state.
2. Adamu Abubakar: Adamu Abubakar was born on April 11, 1974, to Atiku Abubakar and Amina Titi Atiku-Abubakar. As of June 2022, Adamu Abubakar is 48 years old. He is the current Commissioner for Works and Energy Development in Adamawa State. Adamu Abubakar is fondly called Triple A by his friends. He is the founder and president of the Adamu Atiku Abubakar Foundation.
3. Asmau Abubakar: Asmau Abubakar was born to Atiku Abubakar and Princess Rukaiya Atiku Abubakar. Asmau Abubakar’s date of birth is unknown. She is passionate about making quality education available to all.
4. Aliyu Abubakar: Aliyu Abubakar is the son of Atiku Abubakar and Princess Rukaiya Atiku Abubakar. He succeeded his father as the Turaki of Adamawa state after Atiku Abubakar was promoted to the position of Waziri. Aliyu Abubakar is married to the daughter of former EFCC chairman, Fatima Ribadu.
5. Aminu Abubakar: Aminu Abubakar was born on April 11, 1974, to Atiku Abubakar and Amina Titi Atiku-Abubakar. As of June 2022, he is 48 years old.
6. Laila Abubakar: Laila Abubakar is the daughter of Atiku Abubakar and Princess Rukaiya Atiku Abubakar. She graduated with a first-class degree in politics and international relations from the American University of Nigeria (AUN).
7. Hadiza Abubakar: Hadiza Abubakar is the daughter of Atiku Abubakar and Princess Rukaiya Atiku Abubakar. She is the CEO at Hadiza Atiku Abubakar Oil and Gas Investment.
8. Abba Abubakar: Abba Abubakar is the son of Atiku Abubakar and Saadatu Ladi Yakubu. He is currently married to Mariana Silva, an American.
9. Mustapha Abubakar is one of Atiku Abubakar’s children. He is an educational administrator and social entrepreneur. He is popular on Twitter with the handle @HHMustaphaAA.